The Jesters of Ontario continue to be a driving force for junior squash in our province and are pleased to launch a special bursary in 2017 geared towards the pursuit of excellence for Ontario junior athletes. The bursary is designed to reward juniors that have put in extra-ordinary effort in the first half of the 2016-17 season and provide them with additional resources in early 2017 to help them pursue excellence at the 2017 Canadian Junior Squash Championships in Vancouver, British Columbia.
4 successful (2 male and 2 female) applicants will receive a $300 bursary to be allocated specifically towards coaching and/or related expenses (squash coaching, off-court conditioning, mental training, etc.). Bursary funds should ideally be supplemented by a contribution from the applicant via either additional fund raising and/or in-kind work at their clubs.
The successful applicant must be a junior aged 10 – 18 years old that will participate in the 2017 Canadian Junior Squash Championships. An application must be submitted no later than January 25th, 2017 via e-mail to Squash Ontario Executive Director Jamie Nicholls for selection by a Jesters bursary panel on or before January 31st, 2017. The application must include a brief response (between 2-4 sentences each) to the following questions:
1. Briefly describe highlights and improvement made in the first half of the 2016-17 season.
2. Briefly describe what training led to these highlights and improvements.
3. Briefly describe areas to improve upon in the second half of the 2017 season.
4. Briefly describe what resources you would employ if awarded the Jesters Excellence Bursary.
5. What other steps are you taking to help access these resources (ie fund raising, volunteer or paid work – squash coaching or other)?
6. What are your goals for the 2017 Canadian Junior Squash Championships?
On behalf of the Jesters of Ontario, we look forward to receiving applications to the Jesters Junior Squash Excellence Bursary and to providing Ontario athletes additional tools to represent our province and achieve excellence.